Monday, July 14, 2008

Saving money

I have been skirting the issue for awhile, but the cost of living is definitely going up.

For the most part, I try really hard to feed my kids healthy, non-processed food. I am lucky they enjoy cucumbers, cherry tomatoes and fruit for snack. I try not to buy anything with high fructose corn syrup and I buy organic milk.

I do try not to go overboard, I don't want them to feel deprived and then gorge themselves on junk when they are away from the house.

They seem to make pretty good decisions, so far.

Now my struggle is managing the rising costs and continuing to serve the same food. Typically I shop at Trader Joe's, Henry's and Costco.

I have a girl friend who is playing the Grocery Game and she is saving a lot of money! I am trying it-- I bought the trial for $1, I have clipped my coupons and printed my list. I plan to give it a try. We will see how far I get.

The hard part is that the lists that are available are for Ralph's and Stater Bros. I don't typically shop there.

I will let you all know how it goes-- if I save money and can manage to continue to serve relatively healthy fare then I may continue. I am sure that I will continue to stop in at Trader Joe's- their prices are really reasonable to start with.

3 comments:

Lula! said...

If it makes you feel any better, I tried to play the Grocery Game but was unable...due to living in an extremely rural area. The only store on my list was 45 minutes away, which is NOT cost-effective in these times of ridiculous gas prices.

And I don't even know what Trader Joe's is, but Tiffany talks about it a lot, so it must be famous. Maybe it's like Fresh Market...that's our "woo-woo" grocery chain. And I say "our" loosely, as the closest one is 3 hours away, in the town we formely lived in.

Feel my pain!
p.s. My girls eat fruit and veggies as a snack and think it's wonderful. In fact, my 2.5 year old ate an entire cucumber just before her nap yesterday. We grow cucumbers, squash, and all kinds of 'maters. Love it!

Tinabean said...

Thank you for stopping by my blog & leaving a comment.
I agree with you on the cost of food.
It's getting insane the amount we are having to pay for things that we need.
I need to try the grocery game but who wants to drag 1 year old twins all over town to 20 different stores?

Tiffany said...

Trader Joes has really surprised me keeping prices low. Their bag of 90 second brown rice was a full DOLLAR less than Ralph's Uncle Ben's. And, the TJ was organic.

Hot lunch at camp is up to $6...I mean it is vegetable sushi and chinese chicken salad...