Saturday, July 5, 2008

Mango Salsa with grilled chicken breasts

Fun and Friends for the Fourth of July

Our friends, the Greens and the Lopez's came over to celebrate the 4th of July! The Greens have 4 kids, 3 daughters and 1 son-- they got along beautifully with our brood. (The Lopez boys were busy this time-- we missed them)

I made mango salsa (which I have been craving for weeks) to go with grilled chicken breasts.

You can do this in the morning- allowing the chicken breasts to thaw while marinating. I have made the salsa the day before too-- the longer it sits, the better it is!

Chicken marinade
6 chicken breasts (I use boneless, skinless- frozen, fresh works too)
1 grapefruit, sliced (any citrus will do)
1 cup of orange juice (again, any citrus will do)
1 cup of Italian dressing
1 red onion sliced
1 or 2 tablespoons of chopped or crushed garlic
salt and pepper to taste

Combine in large zip loc bag and set aside

Salsa
2 mangoes
2 kiwis
1 red onion
1 bunch of cilantro
2 medium jalapeno peppers (to taste)

Chop ingredients into small chucks, cover and refrigerate.

Grill chicken breasts, cut into strips.
I let them cool, especially in the summer-- this is a cold meal.

Serve with mango salsa.

Can be served with rice, tortillas, or by itself. I combined it with a favorite salad and fresh watermelonfor our meal. I will post the salad on another day.

Happy Fourth of July!

2 comments:

Nicole said...

That sounds soooo good. I'll have to try it sometime. Love the music on your blog, I usually have the sound turned down, so I never hear what people play.

Lula! said...

FABULOUS. Submit this one on the SITS site, girl...it sounds incredible.