Monday, June 30, 2008

Beachy Shrimp- recipe

Just feel like sharing one of my favorite recipes. I have been following the SITS site for a while
and those amazing women have just launched this new site that I am inspired by! If you have not visited the SITS site, I encourage you to do so!
Then jump on over to this one!



There will be some incredible sharing going on, I am sure.

Now I admit , I am one of those freaks that will buy and read cookbooks or cooking magazines just for fun, usually I am inspired by a recipe and I decide to try it, however it is so rare that I ever follow a recipe exactly. I love making changes geared more towards my kids' and husband's tastes taking into consideration too, what I have in stock. I alter freely when I don't have exactly what the recipe calls for.

One of my favorites is Beach Shrimp (From Southern Living at Home magazine).

I call it Easy Shrimp
(This is really easy for every day dinner and good enough to serve to company ).

I alter this based on what I have in the frig, I usually have a bag of frozen shrimp from Trader Joe's, if I cook just one bag I decrease the amounts of the other stuff or it is too much liquid. If we are having company I have to cook two bags because my kids LOVE this! This is not one of those recipes that calls for exact measures! (my favorite kind). I have left out the butter, parsley and the lemon- (not all on the same night) AND it still tastes great! I have also used a variety of Italian dressings.

3 lbs. of large raw or frozen shrimp
1 (16 oz) bottle of Italian dressing
1 ½ Tbsp. freshly ground pepper
2 garlic cloves, pressed
2 lemons, halved
¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
½ cup butter, cut up

Place first 4 ingredients into a 13x9 inch baking dish, tossing to coat. Squeeze juice from lemons over shrimp mixture, and stir. Add lemon halves to pan. Sprinkle evenly with parsley; dot with butter.
Bake at 375 for 25 mins. (making sure shrimp is pink- may take a little longer if you use frozen shrimp). Stir after 15 mins. Serve in pan.

This is great with rice- I buy the frozen brown rice (another Trader Joe’s or Henry’s Market find) it comes in a bag, you microwave it for 3 minutes and you have delicious rice!

I have also served it with grilled veggies (on the grill pan) and crusty French bread.

Enjoy!

19 comments:

twinkle twinkle baby, twinkle twinkle said...

that looks like a yummy recipie, i will have to try it! Thanks for leaving a comment, i love it when people stop by and talk to me!

Lula! said...

Um...
Delicious!

And I have this cookbook, so why haven't I see this before? Thank God I have you!

Anonymous said...

Oh yum! I've never tried baking shrimp. Tomorrow is grocery day, can't wait to try it!

Unknown said...

Yumm...love shrimp and I think I have all the ingredients!!

Buttons and Dots Photography said...

Yummy! Congrats on your comment love day!

Rhea said...

Easy shrimp is a good name for this! I like anything easy. Thanks!

Congrats on your SITS Saucy Chef day!

Veronica said...

I make this shrimp all the time with one addition...1-2 tablespoons of Emeril's Essence Southwest-it gives it a spicy kick! Congrats on your sits feature!

Jen said...

I do the same thing with cook books, I love to read them as if they were a novel. Such a yummy read.

Live.Love.Eat said...

WOW, I love this recipe. Shrimp is one of my favorite foods!!!! Thanks for sharing and congrats on being featured today!!!

Claremont First Ward said...

I'm all about simple and this looks delicious too! :)

Amy said...

Congrats on being the saucey chef today! I love shrimp so my mouth is watering here.

Deanna said...

We adore shrimp and are always looking for new ways to cook it. This is definitely going to be our next "try"! Congrats on being today's Saucy Chef!!

Tam said...

We love shrimp!

Sherri said...

Hi Ho Hi Ho it's off to the store I go..... I need some shrimp!!

sassy stephanie said...

I love Southern Living, esp the easy recipes! Thanks for sharing this yummy one!

Tiffany said...

I am so putting this in my recipe box!

Vixen of Vixensden.com said...

Perfect timing. We were trying to think of something for dinner tonight as my daughter's boyfriend is coming to dinner AND it' said boyfriends birthday and he wanted shrimp! So glad you are the featured chef!

http://vixensden.com

Vicki said...

Tried this one too and it's some of the best shrimp we've ever tasted! Thanks!

Jacie said...

I've cooked this same recipe from Southern Living. It quickly replaced my other "Beach Shrimp" recipes. It is our favorite too!