Friday, May 23, 2008

Tornados in Southern California?

What a day... what a week.
Yesterday was a wild ride on the weather frontier. I had to go to Los Angeles for meetings and I felt as if I was driving through 4 different climates! Rain, sun, hail, idiots on the road... (on the 10 fwy that is a given).

I am so glad that I personally missed the tornados.. what is that? Yes, tornados! Am I really in Southern California? Born and raised-- we have earthquakes-- not hurricanes, not tsunamis, not locusts and certainly NOT tornados! What the hell do you do in a tornado?? And worse-- you KNOW it is coming.

Now I have dealt with earthquakes my entire life, as far back as I can remember, earthquakes have been a part of my life. They come, you shake, you deal, you move on.

TDH (hubby) said he heard advice on the radio that included, "moving your family and pets to your cellar" --ok, where in Southern California are there homes with cellars? Are you kidding? (take note new home builders) The next option given was to move to an interior room of your home- what??? I have seen those news reports- homes are flattened! Visions of bathtubs flying...

Additonal advice included: If you happen to be driving (TDH was relaying this to me while I was driving) find a ditch, get below ground level. oy!

I am not prepared to deal with tornados. I can see it now, the whole fwy attempts to drive into a ditch!

I can handle 3 kids, 2 dogs, a husband, a job, the PTO, extended family, church and friends. The whole tornado thing- not so much!

That is my rant for the day.

If this is global warming I need to start doing my part, taking steps to stop it.

I might become green after all.

1 comment:

Tiffany said...

This is a great post. I know, what the hell do we do...I don't even have an interior room in my home... except a closet!

I keep hearing the BIG earthquake is gonna hit CA in the next 30 years. This is not something I am looking forward to.